Friday, March 18, 2011

Tragedy in Japan

It's difficult to blog about anything this week other than what has happened in Japan last Friday. I don't have too much to say on the subject besides that it is obviously horrible and devastating for so many people whose lives have been ruined by this tragedy. Here's a photo essay that really shows the devastation affecting the area.

I read an article in Newsweek yesterday about how likely it is that this will happen in the United States. As much as I don't want it to happen, I think it's only a matter of time. Considering that Japan is one of the best-prepared countries in the world for earthquakes, it's amazing to see the damage that still occurred. I hope the United States sees this tragedy as a warning, and begins to prepare for potentials earthquakes and tsunamis on the west coast.

That said, over time the coverage of what has happened in Japan will die down, and people will move on with their everyday lives. I think we tend to forget when things like this happen. And it often takes years for areas to recover, if they ever even do. Look at Haiti, and even New Orleans. I hope that as time goes on Japan receives the help it needs to recover.



No comments:

Post a Comment